ABOUT GFGM

gastronomy
ɡaˈstrɒnəmi/
noun
  1. the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.



Good Food, Good Mood was established after I realised how often I was asking myself the difficult question of "Where and what should we eat today?". The Melbourne food scene truly makes us spoilt for choice, so I am hoping my honest reviews can act as a guide for any occasion - from cheap eats to fine dining, to burgers and pizza on cheat days, to fresh and healthy on cutting days. Recommendations on places to try and review are always welcome, just leave a comment.

All photos are taken with my Samsung Note 4 or Sony NEX-F3 unless stated otherwise. Thanks for dropping by!

- Lisa Pizza xo


P.S. Shoutout to my friends and family who dine with me - thanks for not picking up your cutlery when the food comes out so I can take all my food photos... y'all know my camera eats first haha.

Mamasita

Donde esta la biblioteca?

Mexican food has got to be an all time favourite of mine. Tacos. Nachos. Tequila. Quesadillas. Horchatas. Easy to make. Easy to eat. Tonight my work mamasitas and I were running around the city looking for something to eat. The Bottoms End was where we initially wanted to go, but they had a function on that night and didn't serve any food until 10pm. It would have been a 45 minute wait and was not worth it. So we traveled along to Paco's Tacos where the kitchen was closed for the night. I've yet to go there, but it's right across from MoVida Aqui so I should probably pay them a visit soon. However, despite driving around with hungry stomachs, we were third time lucky where Mamasita greeted us with open arms and seated us right where the staircase would flow up cold wind whenever someone opened the door. Please ignore the horrible iPhone photos, I didn't have my camera with me (which seems to happen a lot) and the lighting in the restaurant is very dim. 

1.2.
 1. Le famous chargrilled corn $4.90 each
This street-style corn was sweet and sour at the same time, although there is a cheesey smell that was really offputting. It was the same smell you inhale when you walk into an IGA, if you have ever smelt that disgusting odour (If you haven't, consider yourself lucky). Despite the cheeseyness, the corn was a healthy and scrumptious entrée. 

2. Tacos Tacos Tacos (Price varies from $5 to $7 each)
Eating out with the work girls have allowed me to slowly build my tolerance to chili. Slow progress, but gradual. I ordered a prawn taco "de Camarones" which was $7, and worth every cent. There were only three prawns inside, which I would have been really anal and sooky about. But the other ingredients made up for the flavours. The other two were chicken and ox tongue, which I will be sure to try the next time I visit.


^ Tostaditas (prices range from $12 to $16)
There are four pieces on one board. I didn't get to try this one, but I think you get more value for money  with a taco or a quesadilla. 

^ Didn't get a good photo of the Horchata. It is 560mL for $6.50. There was too much ice which I was really annoyed about. It's like when you order a three colour bean drink and it's full of shaved ice. At Fonda Mexican it is $4.50 but it's not as big as the one at Mamasita. 
^ Three corn icecreams - Helado de maíz ($6 each)


All in all, I really did enjoy my time at Mamasita. Good luck trying to get a table during dinner peak hour, as they don't take reservations. The service was pretty good, although the waiter did forget one taco order and then the bill when we asked for it. The toilet was a bit scary too, there are images of old Mexican women on the doors in black and white. Really creeped me out when I was washing my hands and looking into the mirror reflection.


Mamasita
Level 1, 11 Collins Street
(Right next to the 7/11 near Parliament side of Collins Street)
03 9650 3821

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Thank you for your review on Urbanspoon. However, we generally don't allow links in Diner reviews, so we had to remove yours. Did you know we have a system called "spoonbacks" that will automatically link your restaurant reviews on your blog to the restaurants' pages on Urbanspoon? Users will see a short teaser of your reviews on our site, and we show a link to click through to your blog for the full reviews.

    For instance, if you wanted to include your review of Mamasita, here's a page that explains how it would work:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/e/restaurant_link/1507775

    You can find that page for any restaurant by clicking "+Add your review" in the "Blogger reviews" section on the restaurant's Urbanspoon page. Note: It can sometimes take a few days for your blog to complete our approval process, so don't expect your posts to appear immediately on Urbanspoon. If you have trouble with spoonbacks, feel free to let us know.

    Alternately, if you prefer, you may re-post your review on Urbanspoon omitting the link.

    Best regards,
    Greg

    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete