ABOUT GFGM

gastronomy
ɡaˈstrɒnəmi/
noun
  1. the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.



Good Food, Good Mood was established after I realised how often I was asking myself the difficult question of "Where and what should we eat today?". The Melbourne food scene truly makes us spoilt for choice, so I am hoping my honest reviews can act as a guide for any occasion - from cheap eats to fine dining, to burgers and pizza on cheat days, to fresh and healthy on cutting days. Recommendations on places to try and review are always welcome, just leave a comment.

All photos are taken with my Samsung Note 4 or Sony NEX-F3 unless stated otherwise. Thanks for dropping by!

- Lisa Pizza xo


P.S. Shoutout to my friends and family who dine with me - thanks for not picking up your cutlery when the food comes out so I can take all my food photos... y'all know my camera eats first haha.

Wong's Lucky Bar

Sunday morning... rain is falling.
Sunday night... rain is still freaking falling.

Heading to Box Hill was seriously one of the scariest driving conditions that I have ever been under. Panicing between which speed to put my windscreen wipers on, making sure that I have enough time to brake behind cars, changing songs to fit the rainy mood and driving when rain is constantly being pissed down on you is a hugeeeeeeeeeee tackle.

But hey, I made it... and I'm ecstatic that I did. Wong's Lucky Bar is this tiny little restaurant next to the tram stop on Whitehorse Road. There is no menu on Urbanspoon, so I took the liberty of saving you some time and uploading the menu (the only important menu anyway). There were four hungry hippos on Sunday night, and paying $25 for a very decent meal was just excellent. How can you resist the delicious taste of pork riDs with peking sauce (refer to the menu below... I love Asians).

If you're going to check in on Foursquare (not that anyone uses that anyways) or on Instagram, it will say Wang's Lucky Bar. The only lucky bar for wangs that you will be getting is located in St Kilda. There is an error, it's actually Wong's! So they are so wong. (punny).


The sweet hospitality and service that was given from Wong's Lucky Bar deserved a thumbs up. The only bad thing about the place was that it was wayyyyyy too small. The table was not long enough to fit our king sized banquet, but we somehow managed. All the food came all out at once which was overwhelming. As if driving in the rain wasn't bad enough, I then had to decide which dish I would start off first (damn these first world problems). Below are all the images of all the dishes that you are served for the small price of $98. Next time, I am definitely getting the lobster! I love lobster!!! Everything that was served was at perfect temperature, so you know it is made relatively fresh and the food wasn't just reheated. My personal favourite was the haianese chicken (that's a given) andddddd the mud crab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Customs would suggest that you begin with the Shark Fin Soup. If you're put off by the fact that it is shark fin, don't fret. You'll probably enjoy it more than you think you would. It has a sweet taste but is not chunky. There was no vinegar but the soup alone was flavoursome. My mum makes a better shark fin soup though, just sayin.

^ Haianese chicken.
I could never complain about this. It is just one of the most perfect forms of chicken, second to fried chicken of course.
^ sea cucumber, mushrooms and vegetables (big pieces of lettuce). 
I love mushrooms but the sea cucumber was pretty off putting. I've never eaten it before and it's pretty bad of a foodie like myself to not try it. But I just could not bring myself to eating it. We tried to swap the dish for another veggie one but unfortunately it's bound to the banquet.
^ le pork rids with peking sauce
This dish had the right level of sweetness and was even served with pineapples. I loveeee pineapples! The meat pieces were boney so I had to be extra careful when I ate it.
^ all of the dishes.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST: THE DELICIOUS MUD CRAB WITH EGG NOOODOOOOOO YAYAYAYAY
Mud Crab and Lobster is considered a delicacy. It seriously made me feel a lot better, considering rain just makes you feel lazy and groggy. 


Wong's Lucky Bar
921 Whitehorse Road
Box Hill VIC 3128
(03)9899 8558

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh delicious!!

    xoxo
    http://www.its-dash.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaa so wong! I love shark fin soup, although some places have been really disappointing. Haianese chicken is always good too!

    totally love the title of your blog header btw. So true, so true!

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete