ABOUT GFGM

gastronomy
ɡaˈstrɒnəmi/
noun
  1. the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.



Good Food, Good Mood was established after I realised how often I was asking myself the difficult question of "Where and what should we eat today?". The Melbourne food scene truly makes us spoilt for choice, so I am hoping my honest reviews can act as a guide for any occasion - from cheap eats to fine dining, to burgers and pizza on cheat days, to fresh and healthy on cutting days. Recommendations on places to try and review are always welcome, just leave a comment.

All photos are taken with my Samsung Note 4 or Sony NEX-F3 unless stated otherwise. Thanks for dropping by!

- Lisa Pizza xo


P.S. Shoutout to my friends and family who dine with me - thanks for not picking up your cutlery when the food comes out so I can take all my food photos... y'all know my camera eats first haha.

Yeonga


This place has opened across from the Queen Victoria Market for quite some time now, but I finally paid a visit last night!!! Victoria Street already has many other Korean BBQ occupants such as Toodouri, Wooga andddd Hallah so Yeonga definitely A LOT OF PRESSURE TO SUCCEED. 

  • We were seated upstairs, a level of smoke and darkness. 
  • The waiters were cute but fobby as. One of them had long coloured hair that was so silky and healthy (jealous!!). 
  • There were many booth seats to cater for 2-4 people or group bookings. There was even a private room in the back for small functions.
  • The menu was actually HILARIOUS. The set menus were called THE LORD OF THE COWS ($39 pp), WHAT THE PORK ($39pp), THE BEEF WEAR PRADA ($49 pp), THE KOREAN LAST SUPPER ($49 pp). HILARITY!!!!!!!!!!!


The soju names were equally as funny -


After I checked in on Foursquare, there was a tip which stated "Bad communication skills. Does not do free refills of Kim chi - terrible!!! Dishes were quite small.
Although the waiters are Korean, they are not completely illiterate and they are defs not as rude as Chinese waiters. I'm not being racist, it's just truth. I went to yumcha on Wednesday at Dragon Boat Palace on Londsdale Street and that was a pain in the bum communicating with them. 
Secondly, the girl who left that memo was probably rude herself because we got free refills for the pasta and he even gave us a mountain of kimchi!!! Nomnomnom. 



SET MENU: GONE WITH BEEF

$56 for the entire set which includes
1. Beef salad with Citron Sauce
2. YG Angus Scotch Rib Eye
3. Premium Schort Rib Filet
4. Marinated Sweet Chilli Chicken
5. Spicy Seafood Soft Tofu Stew
6. Two bowls of steamed rice


1. Beef salad with Citron Sauce

The beef that was used in this salad looked raw but with the citron sauce it really worked out great. There was A LOT OF SALAD which disguised the amount of beef that was actually in there... we found a total of 6 pieces in there which is rather disappointing. At least the salad gave us a break from all the other meat dishes. 


Hong and I are so used to going to All You Can Eat kkbq places were we have to everything ourselves. The service from the waiters at Yeonga were very prompt and helpful in putting meat on the grill, cutting it up and changing the metal tray. 

3. Premium Short Rib Filet
4. Marinated Sweet Chilli Chicken


Unfortunately I didn't manage to take a photo of the Angus Scotch rib eye because the waiter put it on the grill before I could pick up my camera. The portion of the rib eye was really small, but GODDAMMMN it was so tender and soft. Although the meat itself was juicy, I still needed the sesame oil and fermented soybean paste for extra extra flavour. 

Number 3 was awesome!!! I managed to save some pieces until the end just to savour it because there was NOT ENOUGH. Portions are too small but you get what you pay for, considering the set was only $56. This was definitely my favourite out of all of the meat dishes.

Number 4 was average. I don't like eating chicken at kbbq anyway, because not only does it take too long to cook but beef is just so much better. It was a shame the set didn't have bulgogi because it's the bombbbb. 

5. Spicy Seafood Soft Tofu Stew

Hong's mum is Korean and obviously knows how to make this stew, something I will endeavour to learn and perfect. It had egg, tofu, one mussel, one tiny ass pippie, mixed vegetables and more tofu. It wasn't too spicy which I enjoyed, and it was the best thing to eat (or drink) on a cold Autumn night. 

Scallops on da grrriiilll ermagherd it tasted so amazing!!! 
I don't think I've ever eaten it off the grill before, and I am super glad I did. 
Scallops (6 pieces) - $15.00
Hong had most of the scallops because it's his favourite. The best ones I've eaten in a restaurant has got to be at MoVida Aqui (haha reading through that old post again was so funny... to think that was a year ago!!!) They were well proportioned (meaning that they weren't too small) and the sauce was delish to slurp on after being on the grill!

PORRRRKKK BELLY - $14.00
I was very unimpressed when this pork belly serving came out. LOOK HOW SLIM AND FATTENING THE PIECES ARE. There is practically NO meat on there. And I know, I know, this is probably expected considering it is the belly of a pig... but I've been to Hwaro and Guhng where the pork belly was nothing like that. How annoying! After being on the grill it shrunk even more and there was nothing left to enjoy.

Black sesame ice cream - $8.00
The hardest part of the night is choosing which dessert to order which will satisfy your tastebuds before you leave the restaurant. It was drawn down to green tea or black sesame icecream... and I chose the latter because I always get green tea. The ice cream came out FROSTED, and you can even see the frozen fruits were too! We put it under the smoke ventilator so that the lights / heat would help melt it. The ice cream wasn't anything special to be honest. The presentation itself made it looks so amazing and worthy of being eaten. Next time I'll probably try the passionfruit mousse or the cheesecake.

This is a broken piece of the chocolate ring around the ice cream. It didn't taste like anything special but the look of it makes the presentation so much better (and hence why it costs 8 bucks for icecream...).
View of the CBD behind the glass, I like that a lot. The place itself is very dark, and the toilets are so creepy!!! I hate bathrooms that have lights at the entrance, not inside the toilet itself. WHAT IF SOMEONE TURNED OFF THE LIGHT WHILE YOU WERE IN THERE omg I would shit my pants, literally!!! 
ALTOGETHER the experience was very enjoyable. It added up to be $99 altogether, which included an extra bowl of rice for $2.50 and a coke zero for $3.50. That's a pretty reasonable price for premium Korean BBQ. I wouldn't have expected anything less from them, but if the portions were increased by a fraction then this place would be cool beans. 
Cute graffiti art around the area. Where are ma legs??/11!!!!


Yeonga
Address: 1 Cobden St  North Melbourne Victoria 3051
Contact: 9326 8834

Hours: 5:30pm - 11pm ERRRDAY
Price: $$$ $
Website: They don't have one yet but their Facebook will do



Yeonga on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment